Yield: 6-8 servings
Cook time: 25-30 mins
Prep time: quick version - 20 minutes
scratch version - 2.5 hours
This recipe is my man’s fave and I can say with confidence that this is one of the top five reasons he decided to finally propose. I’ll spare you the details of my love life and so we can start chatting about this amazing fall/winter dish. This is a semi-low fat version of the ultimate comfort food, classic chicken pie. I use olive oil and butter to saute the veggies and totally eliminate the heavy cream in order to keep the dish herbaceous and full of roasted chicken wonderment. Using pre-made pie dough and a rotisserie chicken from your favorite grocery store is totally OK. No judgement here. If you are in the mood for a culinary marathon and want to make your pie totally from scratch my recommendations for a pie dough recipe and roasted chicken recipe are included in the ingredient list. Serve a slice or two of this soul warming pie with a light mixed green salad and you have yourself a winner winner chick..I’ll stop there. This recipe is a true family gem that even the pickiest of eaters will L-O-V-E! I highly recommend doubling the recipe and freezing one (uncooked) for a snowy day or better yet, share the love and give one to your neighbor. Enjoy!
Ingredients: (in order of appearance)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small diced onion (1 cup)
- 1 small diced carrot (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 small diced celery stalks (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup small diced potatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 pound pulled roasted chicken *from scratch I recommend Julia Child’s Roasted Chicken recipe.
- 9″ pie crust- *from scratch I recommend the pate brisee from simplyrecipes.com
- 1 egg
- prepare pie dough, either homemade or store bought
- brown your butter (cook past melting point) in 5 qt pan add olive oil and cook onions, celery and carrots until semi soft add garlic and cook until onions start to become translucent. *add a pinch of salt and pepper at the beginning of cooking process.
- stir in flour and cook until your roux (butter/flour) is a warm tan color.
- slowly whisk in chicken stock (1/4 cup at a time for the first cup). Once incorporated add potatoes and whole fresh herb sprigs, cook (no lid unless vented) until potatoes are fork tender. *this is the perfect time to roll out your pie dough and place in dish*
- pull herb sprigs and discard, gently mix in roasted chicken and peas.
- pour chicken mixture into pie crust keeping the middle of the pie most plentiful.
- place the top crust over mixture crimp and brush top with slightly beaten egg, make two small slits in middle of crust to allow ventilation.
- bake 25-30 mins at 400 degrees or until golden brown
- let rest for 10 minutes, cut and enjoy.