Yield: Approximately 4-6 large servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
I love making chili for many reasons 1. It reminds me of my dad a.k.a Pops. 2. The amount of variety that ensues my kitchen table on chili night will bring a tear to any food lovers eyes. 3. You can have this bad boy on your table in 40 minutes tops.
- Stay away from cooking this recipe in cast iron, aluminum or an unlined copper pan, these are considered reactive pans. Cooking acidic foods (tomato products) in a reactive pan can alter the color and flavor of your dish.
- When cooling leftover chili-cool with the lid off, same reason as above. Leftover chili is the best and it always tastes better the next day! You can seriously put chili on almost anything- creamy polenta, brown rice, mashed potatoes and heellllooo chili cheese fries. You can even make another meal out of your leftovers how does a chili pizza sound or even chili quesadilla’s, Tex-Mex mac&cheese anyone?
- Not only can you put chili over anything BUT you can also top it with a million different tasties. Here are a few suggestions for toppers – avocado, cheese, green onion, red onion, lime, sour cream, tortilla chips, jalapenos, fresh cilantro, onion straws and/or classic oyster crackers.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1c. red onion (1 medium onion)
- 1c. green pepper (1 medium green pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2c. beef stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cans kidney or pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2.5 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat saute onions, peppers and garlic for approximately 5 minutes.* Don’t forget to add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add your ground beef or turkey and brown.
- Incorporate dried herbs, sugar, beef stocks, tomatoes and beans.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on low.
- Taste- salt and pepper to taste-simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve in a big bowl over anything you choose, top with anything you choose! Enjoy!